Monday, July 7, 2008

Aloofness

Today, I walked to this vegetarian restaurant for lunch, again.

Saw this auntie#1 whom I just knew was there this afternoon too. Since the place next to her was vacant, I went over and sat next to her. Both of us are patrons to this restaurant since a long time ago. But, we started to get acquaintant to each other just about 2 months ago. Normally, we chatted on casual stuffs, like hot news, foods, cooking, works, nothing too personal nor too specifically.

To my surprise, today, she asked me how would I spent the summer holiday with my kids? Err? I didn't recall I have ever told her that I have kids before. She didn't seem that she was probing me either. So, I asked her how does she get to know about my kids.

She said she has been watching me since a very long time ago, back to the time I was in my 2nd pregnancy 5 years ago. She said I was rather fresh because not many "young girl" who carried a big tummy would visit the restaurant at that time. Ahh..no wonder.
(BTW, "young girl" huh? I want to take her words a compliment lo, haha...)

Actually, there is another auntie#2 who knew where I work even though I've never mentioned about my company name since day 1 I've started to talk to them. It's very obvious that they know me more than I know them. Are they being too busy body or I being too aloof all this time?

All this years, I go to this restaurant alone, occasionally with 2-3 colleagues who is not meat-crazy. When I was alone there, I just let my mind wanders no where or fix my eyes on the TV screen to follow the news. I didn't pay attention to anybody until one fine day, we started to talk.

It strikes me a lightning that I might have neglected many nice people to whom I may find them pleasant to talk to. How should I put it? Emm...you can make more friends in 2 months by becoming interested in other people than you can in 2 years by waiting for other people interested in you. So, why don't I?

I gave things a thought...Well, I am a follower of "隨緣" philosophy in many aspects, that includes making new friends. It's a rather passive approach but I believe by having less attachment, it gives me more freedom and stay objective.
*
The conclusion is : Yes, I am aloof and selective, so to say. I will try to be more open up, but I will not force myself though. Totally helpless !


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Things are so much different here, especially in Rayong since I am not in BKK anymore. The ppl here are soo..pleasant. Even Mat Sallehs are nicer and everybody seems so eager to give u a helping hand when u need one.
So,,yeah..loosen up and talk more.

Jessy MY Lee said...

CY, it's good for u and family to live in a pleasant and friendly environment, make life less stressful.

The only group of people who I can loosen up automatically is innocent children. I like to initiate a talk with them, and enjoy talking to them very much.